Unix Fan wrote:
Hannah Schroeter wrote:

> IIRC not, I have a DVD-RAM drive and it probes as cd(4), not as sd(4).

Why is everyone ignoring me? I wasn't asking if the device could be
> attached as "sd", I meant.. could DVD-RAM drives be "used" as if
> they're "like" an ordinary drive that attached to sd(4).

That might not be what you asked; but it still could be the answer to your question. I've been on this list long enough to know that if an answer does not right away make sense to me; then in some way "I don't get it" and extra reading is warranted. Maybe that's happened here. OpenBSD names devices based on driver used. I haven't looked at code (I wouldn't understand it anyway); but I would not expect the cd(4) device driver to support random writes; whereas the sd(4) driver would. I suspect that if your DVD-RAM device *were* detected as sd; then it *might* behave as an sd device.

Then again; I might not even have a clue...