Thanks Everyone for the help!! from what I gather it not easy to
disable ipv6 but then why disable it anyways.
I think what's happening is that the fetch (or ftp) is just trying
ipv6 address first and not the ipv4.
 From one of the replies I got from Jona (see below), this should do
the trick.

Thanks

In gmane.os.openbsd.misc, you wrote:
> How can I disable IPv6 in openbsd 4.x (3 - in my case) without
> recompiling kernel?
> I have a strange issue where when I try to install symon utility using
> ports, it fails with message:
>
>>> Fetch ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/distfiles//
>>> jpegsrc.v6b.tar.gz
> .
> Trying 2001:4f8:0:2::e...
> ftp: connect to address 2001:4f8:0:2::e: No route to host
> Trying 2001:6c8:6:4::7...
>
> I don't know why I am seeing Ipv6 address there.  Maybe the DNS server
> is returning this IPv6 address but my os or app (ports in this case)
> has to be querying for an IPv6 AAAA record?? don't know.

It should fall back to the v4 address if the connection to the v6
address fails.

If you want to get rid of the message you can set:

FETCH_CMD = /usr/bin/ftp -V -m -4 -k ${FTP_KEEPALIVE}

in /etc/mk.conf. That's the default setting plus -4 which makes it
stick to
IPv4 addresses.

See:
bsd.port.mk(5)