On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 20:08:37 +1200
Richard Toohey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I plan to develop a money management app for personal use on
> OpenBSD. Since I am not big on any backend /prog.language I have
> decided to ask the experts, what should i choose. Based on the
> consensus and depth of a response, I will devote my time studying that
> language/server and try to build this app.

> requirement: Browser based app. with AJAX (multiuser if possible)
> my_hardware_limitation: 40gig disk, 1GB RAM , no video RAM, pentium 4
> CPU 2GHz Level of expertise: starter

> which components will be a good fit?:

> 1. Backend: MySQL or SQLite
> 2. webserver: apache or Lighttpd
> 3. development language: PHP or Java or Javascript (and XML I guess)

PHP is complete crap and a disaster as a programming language. Java is
way too cumbersome. For this kind of use-case, I would definitely use
python and twisted+nevow+axiom.

If you don't know python at all the learning curve for all this might
be a bit step, but probably not worse than having to learn
SQL+HTTP+some other language (especially if you struggle with php).

Nevow is a really nice framework for web-based applications. It also
has all the "AJAX" you need (seamless two-way RPC between python and
javascript). As a persistence system, Axiom is very convenient to use,
but it is sqlite only, and you don't have full control over your DB
schema. You might like it or not.

I would think twice before using this combination for a very very busy
site, but for personnal or "small business" use, it is perfect.

I just imported www/py-nevow a few days ago. check the ports ML
archive for an axiom port.

Eric.