On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 12:14:14AM -0400, Nick Holland wrote:

> Yes, I know, you can turn off all that crap, but if I'm trying to
> configure or administer a system, my first goal is not to spend an
> hour "moving in"...make the changes needed, and move on, and NOT fix
> the editor.

And there it is, in a nutshell. If you're administering many machines
with different OS and setup, it would be counterproductive to do it any
other way.

If you're writing code on your own workstation then you can tweak your
environment the way you like, and that can be worthwhile. Expending the
effort to "move in" makes sense if you're going to live there a long
time.

--
Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD User Group  |  MetaBUG
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   |  http://phxbug.org/      |  http://metabug.org/