On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 05:32:28PM +0200, Dorian B|ttner wrote:
> Steve Shockley schrieb:
> >
> > Had a royal PITA the other day when I misspelled "softdep" in the
> >/usr line in fstab, and didn't know how to use ed.
> >

> No prob w/o ed :) You can just cat /etc/fstab | grep -v usr >>
> /etc/fstab.new followed by echo '<whatever>' >> /etc/fstab.new and then
> mv everything to it's correct destination.

Were he stranded without /usr (and so, without grep, at
least on OpenBSD), Steve would not have been able to do
that (and if you can mount /usr, just ust vi(1)).
A little more than one year ago, Matthias Kilian posted
a nice bit of "ed advocacy" to this list:

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=117565306629772