Just yesterday I tried setting up a WPA access point (with rum(4)) and
my ifconfig output looks stunningly similar. There's two things
though... Are you sure you're not running a non-GENERIC kernel ?
Either you are, or you're not showing us the full ifconfig output
since the link local address for IPv6 is missing. You should have a
line reading

        inet6 fe80::20e:2eff:fexx:xx:xx%ral0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0xX

Other than that, I configured 'wpaakms psk', you might want to try
this. This shouldn't change things (since you have psk too), but maybe
the 802.1x confuses things.

After I configured my Host AP, I was able to connect my Mac OSX (also
Leopard) machine to the newly created network. It's not very stable,
but this is probably caused by the rum(4) I'm using :

CAVEATS
     The rum driver supports automatic control of the transmit speed in BSS
     mode only.  Therefore the use of a rum adapter in Host AP mode is dis-
     couraged.

Unfortunately, it is currently the only wireless NIC I have to test
WPA, so I'm kind of stuck with it ;)

So, make sure you're using GENERIC (the `sysctl -n kern.version`
output from your mail seems to indicate you are, but the ifconfig
output contradicts it). Next is to try adding 'wpaakms psk' to your
hostname.ral0. Then, maybe try another card, rebooting the Mac, etc.

Cheers,

Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd

                 http://www.weirdnet.nl/