Hey,

Jonathan Thornburg schrieb:
In message <http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=121259415410042&w=1>,
Alphons "Fonz" van Werven asked
Are there any means of encrypting filesystems other than using cryptfs
plus vnode? As far as I could find out, the latter imposes a size limit
of roughly 8GB which is acceptable for most partitions but not all of
them.

It may not be what you want, but cfs (ports/packages) is a cryptographic
filesystem which runs outside the kernel.  It works at the _file_ level
(on top of a standard filesystem), with encryption keys specified on
a per-directory-tree basis, so doesn't care about the filesystem size.
I've been using cfs for about 15 years (first 7 on SunOS, last 8 on
OpenBSD), and am generally happy with it.

I never ran into a partition size limit with vnconfig on OpenBSD... largest currently encrypted HDD is a 160 GB secondary notebook drive, all one partition, containing a traveling backup of some stuff. ;-)

cfs on the other hand... never really got it to work reliable.

Michael