Martmn Coco wrote:
Hi misc,

I'm currently looking for hardware alternatives for firewalls that should have more than four NICs.

Currently we are buying R200s from Dell, but we have the 4 NIC limitation. We could tell Dell to install a quad port NIC (in addition to the two-port onboard card), but I haven't read good things about the way they work.

I've also looked into soekris, but they don't seem to have enough CPU for what we want (this is pure speculation) as we also have intense IPSec traffic on some of these firewalls (I've seen that some of them could have encryption boards added to increase performance, but I don't know if it works for any kind of protocol, or at what rate).

In any case, what I would like to have is firewalls with multiple NICs (at least 6 NICs) *and* sufficient CPU to let IPSec work alright at least at ~50Mbps (internal backbone firewalls). The multiple NICs are to use trunk, pfsync, real network interfaces, etc.

i see that people have already made this pointlessly heated, but i'll just put in my 2 cents nicely:

unless you're routing ridiculous amounts of traffic, in which case openbsd might not be able to handle the pps count, it is probably best to trunk the four interfaces into the switch, put vlans and/or carp on top of that and not add a slough of extra interfaces. it's not for me to say that you don't need the extra interfaces but trunking and vlans will likely (1) save ports on your switches, (2) make your setup more resilient by having a larger number of interfaces for each link to fail through, (3) simplify the cabling and (4) minimize the number of switches required.

btw, commercially available hw encryption accelerators are not very relevant anymore since there is so much idle cpu power in most modern machines. it's usually a better idea just to buy a faster machine or one with a cpu that does its own crypto acceleration, e.g. via C7.

cheers,
jake

Thanks,
Martmn.