On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 07:55:23AM +0200, Bj??rn Ketelaars wrote:
> viq wrote:
> > Sorry for the "carpet bombing", I grabbed the list of people who I saw
> > report problems with rtorrent.
> >
> > I'm writing to ask those who had problems with rtorrent try it again
> > with newest snapshots, I was not able to reproduce the problem on a
> > box that used to freeze. Please test and report, maybe Otto just fixed
> > another obscure bug ;)
> >

> I'm experiencing the same. Rtorrent is working without taking down the
> complete system. It seems that Arthur Grabowski's work [1] paid of.
>
> There is however one point of concern; Rtorrent is a real memory hog; it
> just keeps on taking and taking...

I used to use rtorrent until it started to freeze the whole system
so that I was able to ping it, but no userland worked. The box
became unreachable, which wasn't easy to debug. I believe other
people on this list experienced similar problems.  In any case, I
switched to btpd and never looked back. It's stable and doesn't
consume more than 4MB of ram after 44 days of uptime while seeding
50+ torrents.