On 平成 20/08/21, at 12:12, Philip Guenther wrote:

2008/8/20 Joel Rees <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
export PROFMARKER=".profile"

would you believe I put that in .profile, like the marker said?

setenv CSHMARKER ".cshrc"

would you believe I put that in .cshrc?

setenv LOGINMARKER ".login"

would you believe I put that in .login?

(hangs head in shame.)

(Tilts head in puzzlement this time.)

If you're wondering why the shotgun approach, I couldn't figure out, with my login shell set to sh, why the shell was behaving like csh. Still don't get it.

Except, csh picks up one marker, sh and ksh pick up none. So I'm
still puzzled

I love how don't actually describe where you put those or which
'marker' did get 'picked up'.  No wait, I actually find that really
annoying.  Why do people leave relevant facts out?

I suppose you couldn't be bothered to read my rambling notes if I couldn't be bothered to dig into the archives to find your glorious contribution that I didn't know was there?

Well, I read it and I thought about it and it sounds like what you're saying is that fvwm x11 sessions are giving me interactive shells instead of login shells? That .profile is not the same as .bash_profile? That it's probably not a good idea to have x11 sessions attempt to process the same script that starts up your login session when you login at a character terminal?

I'll have to think about that for a while. I mean it sort of makes sense. X11 is going to need parameters set that would be at best superfluous in a console shell and could well get in the way.

But right now I'm having a bit of a hard time imagining why I would want environment settings in a console sh shell that I wouldn't want in an x11 sh session shell.

Unless I were logging in to the same user to write open office documents as I was logging in to start and stop various daemons. Which shouldn't really happen, but I suppose it does.

Okay, it seems like I would want three separate places to specify startup parameters -- one file for login parameters that are independent of the shell, one set of files for parameters to X11, and one startup file for the specific shell.

And you're telling me it doesn't work that way?

etc. But none of the markers show up in a printenv, whether
I simply start a new xterm, or go to the trouble of logging out
and back in.

Okay, you need to review the sh(1) and csh(1) manpages and read where
they describe when the .profile or .cshrc and .login are read.  Pay
attention to the phrase "login shell".  Then go read the xterm(1)
manpage and search for the phrase "login shell".

There are lots of things I need to do. (For one thing, I need to figure out why X11's keyboard stuff isn't even getting four kind of important keys into the keycode matrix at all. You can see my attempts at embarrassing myself on that subject in the ppc@ list.)

Anyone willing to tell me what's wrong with my thinking here?

1) Failure to read the manpages

Or the "right" parts of them in the "right" frame of mind, at any rate.

2) Failure to search the archives (I posted a long explanation of when
the .profile
    is read vs $ENV recently.)

Okay, so now I search at http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc for "profile" and I see a post with your name

"Re: Can't scp, ssh is slow to authenticate."
http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=121705461723704&w=2

Not sure why I should understand that problems with scp and ssh have anything directly to do with not knowing the right place to set shell variables, but your post is definitely there.

Yeah, I could have spent yet another several hours or so trying to think of more things to look for in the man pages and at marc and wandering around in the results of random searches wondering which is relevant, and maybe I'd have stumbled onto that post. But I've found that spinning my wheels too long just makes the neighborhood smell of rubber.

Sorry. I'm slow. Bad memory, too. Comes from my age, I suppose.

But thanks for the pointers. Gives me something to think about, like whether I might reconsider whether getting stuck in twisty mazes in Fedora 9 is any worse than being stuck in twisty mazes in OpenBSD. Not trying to be threatening or insulting, I just don't have a lot of time left this summer, and the iBook install exposes more of the rough edges either way. All I'm looking for is a way to take some open source tools with me to the schools I teach English at without breaking my budget and alienating my wife and generating more used equipment for the landfill.

Joel Rees
(waiting for a 3+GHz ARM processor to come out,
to test Steve's willingness to switch again.)