On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 12:50 PM, Stuart Henderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 2008-08-27, Marco Matarazzo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> # ospfctl reload
>> # tail /var/log/messages
>> Aug 27 11:36:39 sfw2 ospfd[12857]: configuration reload failed
>
> Adding a vlan and reloading works here on -current.
[...]
> Perhaps running "ospfd -dv" and examining the output when you
> attempt to reload would give more clues.

I think I found the culprit. It looks like adding virtual interfaces
that were already configured at ospfd boot time make ospfd happy.
It'll take the new configuration and begin announcing the new
interface. Instead, if ospfd is already running, I then create a new
interface, configure it, add it to ospfd.conf and reload, it'll tell
me configuration reload failed. The message I see while running in
verbose mode is:

# ospfctl reload

/etc/ospfd.conf:62: unnumbered interface carp400
if_del: interface carp334
if_del: interface carp333
if_del: interface carp332
if_del: interface carp331
if_del: interface carp330
if_del: interface carp329
if_del: interface carp328
if_del: interface carp327
if_del: interface carp326
if_del: interface carp325
if_del: interface carp324
if_del: interface carp323
if_del: interface carp322
if_del: interface carp320
if_del: interface carp321
if_del: interface carp318
if_del: interface carp317
if_del: interface carp316
if_del: interface carp315
if_del: interface carp314
if_del: interface carp223
if_del: interface carp217
if_del: interface carp212
if_del: interface carp208
if_del: interface carp206
if_del: interface carp205
if_del: interface carp204
if_del: interface carp203
if_del: interface carp194
if_del: interface carp192
if_del: interface carp161
if_del: interface carp15
if_del: interface carp14
if_del: interface carp13
if_del: interface carp12
if_del: interface carp11
if_del: interface carp10
if_del: interface carp9
if_del: interface carp8
if_del: interface carp7
if_del: interface carp6
if_del: interface carp4
if_del: interface carp3
if_del: interface em0
if_del: interface em1
if_del: interface em3
configuration reload failed

carp400 is the interface that I created while ospf was running. Of
course, the interface has correct addressing:
# ifconfig vlan400
vlan400: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        lladdr 00:1b:21:0a:af:a8
        vlan: 400 priority: 0 parent interface: em0
        groups: vlan
        inet x.y.z.3 netmask 0xfffffff0 broadcast 213.171.191.15
# ifconfig carp400
carp400: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        lladdr 00:00:5e:00:01:1e
        carp: MASTER carpdev vlan400 vhid 30 advbase 5 advskew 100
        groups: carp
        inet x.y.z.1 netmask 0xfffffff0 broadcast 213.171.191.15

and if I kill and restart the daemon the config works just fine!
Didn'try with a vlan yet, but may be this could be a problem related
to all runtime created interfaces?

Cheers,
--
I'm Winston Wolf, I solve problems.