On Fri, Sep 26 2008 at 03:19, Christoph Leser wrote:
> This is interesting. We suffer from spurious connection losses since we
> started with OBSD ipsec.
> Do you have any details what caused your problem, and why setting
> DPD-check-interval helped?

The problem was the following :
Tunnels were established well but, in case of internet connections
problems, the vpn went down and never came up again.
Once the vpn went down, the work around was simply to kill isakmpd and
restart it. Not very simple when the vpn went down at 2 AM (and users
complaining at 8)

Analysing an idle VPN connection (we were lucky to have a test
environnement), I saw that Cisco 3030 was emitting isakmp_info packets
every 20 seconds.
I cut the internet link, waited 1 min and then replugged the cable.
tcpdump showed that my OpenBSD Box didn't loose its SAs but Cisco 3030
was trying to create new ones. At this point Isakmp daemons on both
sides can't talk to each other again.

As DPD was enabled on the cisco side and the techs were unable to tell
me if it's the standard configuration or not, I found this way to enable
DPD on the OpenBSD side. It corrected the problem as both side tryed to
restart isakmp negociations after a short internet failure.

Claer