On 2008-09-29, Leon Dippenaar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I can relate to that, having load balancers fix"ing" backend services.
>
> If you have the time, you will probably find "pound reverse proxy"
> http://www.apsis.ch/pound/ to be a nice alternative to try out in your lab.
> I have pound on openbsd for several years and can recommend it for http
> -> https redirects, SSL termination and back-end load balancing with
> health checks (not to mention the dynamic scaling ) and and weighted
> priority between backend nodes.

relayd with PF handling the redirection is lower overhead for simple
load-balancing (no kernel/userland/kernel path for the packets), and
the SSL termination can be a lot smarter (e.g. presenting the backend
web server with the client's original IP address via transparent
proxying) thanks to the integration with the rest of the OS..