Hello Tobias,

On Wed, 2008-11-05 at 12:56 +0100, Tobias Ulmer wrote:
> So you didn't test 4.4 and -current?

   No, because it's a production machine, because I didn't have the time
to do much testing while the machine was online and because now I have
an *identical twin* machine up and running as firewall (4.3 straight
from the CD, copied the necessary dirs directly from the "suspect" PC)

  Actually I was led to believe from what I googled that the problem was
either disk or RAM. I threw in the MB since this is an 8-year-old
machine. I simply wasn't considering a kernel issue.

  Again the main problem is that I can't do much testing in real
conditions (where the problem occurred).

  The "twin" has been running without any problems since the end of
September. I don't know if this is enough to rule out a kernel issue,
though.

  Finally, don't misunderstand me: I am willing to spend time
recompiling -current and upgrading the running firewall. I might even
bring it along to openCON in Venice in case someone wants to play around
with it, but I am afraid this could lead nowhere since I have no idea
how to replicate the problem and the probable cause (RAM, disk, kernel)
is widely debated--everybody seems to have their own explanation ;-) .

Suggestions/comments are most welcome!

Thanks in advance.

   --Vic