Thanks to LEVAI Daniel for providing his dmesg.  To add mere confirmation, I
too was able to boot 4.4 release with NIC interface active/recognized after
'boot -c' + 'disable acpi', however I was unable to muster the skill to
accomplish the ftp transfer.  Is Daniel's dmesg sufficient for debug, or would
a capture of a default-config dmesg (with all its error messages) be
beneficial?  If the latter, I will endeavor to connect a floppy drive...

Jaime