On Wednesday 19 November 2008 09:07:31 you wrote:
> > OpenBSD PF firewall consisting of ext, DMZ, internal/private interfaces.
> > VOIP server sitting in the DMZ.
> > Multiple (pick any number, 5, 10, 100) SIP phones in the private LAN.
> > Multiple mobile (pick any number, 5, 10, 100) SIP phones anywhere in the
> > USA. (NOTE: Mobile means they are carried and plugged in anywhere, but
> > are programmed with the static IP gateway address.
> >
> > How would you create a working pf.conf file so everything  'just works'.

Here we go

> What do you mean exactly by "just works"? Are the external phones
> supposed to talk with the internal phones?

Not directly, they go through the server

> Do the internal phones have
> public or private addresses?

Private interface so private address

> Are you using RTP/RTCP for audio? Are the
> audio streams phone-to-phone or are you using media anchoring on your
> VoIP server?

The server is currently in the private lan, but if we wan't to take outside
calls, we need to move it into the DMZ.

> What VoIP server are you using?

Asterisk, test server

> Does it use TCP and/or
> UDP for SIP signalling? What is the port range used on the SIP phones
> for RTP/RTCP?

Standard ports.  The SIP phones register with the asterisk box.

> There's a lot more info required before one can draw up some
> appropriate pf configuration file. Also, AFAIK there is currently now
> ftp-proxy-like application available for SIP for pf, so you won't be
> able to use pf as an ALG or dynamic firewall for your SIP traffic.
> You'll have to determine all your possible call flows, analyze the
> potential ports used (SIP and RTP/RTCP) for each of these call flows,
> and then prepare a pf.conf that caters to all of these.

Sounds like a lot of work.  I need to go and hit the asterisk list.

I'll let you know if I find anything out.