On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 16:40:26 +0100, Robert wrote:

>On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 14:14:19 +0000
>"John ." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Hello misc,
>>
>> I want to install OpenBSD/amd64 on my laptop (a recent Toshiba amd
>> turon with 3GB RAM) and ONLY have OpenBSD on it, but before I do this,
>> I need to know how I can image the disk and restore it subsequently.
>> It has vista on, and I may need to restore vista should I subsequently
>> need to sell the laptop at some future date.
>>
>> The hard disk was partitioned and formatted at the manufacturers. The
>> first primary partition is not visible as usable space - I think this
>> if from where the OS was prepped.
>>
>> Has anyone had this scenario, if so, what did you use to image the
>> data? Have you restored it since?
>>
>> thanks
>>

>My tool of choice for this is: dd
>
>Just dd the whole drive to a file, compress it and store it somewhere.
>
>Depending on how easy it is to rip out the harddrive and if you have
>another system around you can use for imaging that might be the fastest
>way.
>
>Otherwise you can image over the network or to an external medium.
>With usb-bootable systems i use a usbstick with openbsd to get a
>working enviroment. On older systems a knoppix cd still comes in handy.
>Over the network just redirect the output from dd over ssh.
>
>To restore the image just dd it back onto the drive.
>
>That's as simple as it gets and works also works for the "funny"
>partitions with the factory-restore stuff.

No it doesn't. Well maybe on some system I haven't experienced but on
every one I've looked at it does not.

I first ran into it on an IBM NT or 2k box (not mine) that came with a
"15GB" drive with a manufacturer's label saying 20GB. I dd'ed am image
to experiment with and that image was 15GB and did NOT include a
recovery partition.

I later found out how to unhide  the partition and the image was then
20GB. I have always unhidden the recovery bit on every drive I have
worked with since to make backup images possible.

Mind out though, unhidden rescue partitions are ready for destruction
if carelessness arrives.

*** NOTE *** Please DO NOT CC me. I <am> subscribed to the list.
Mail to the sender address that does not originate at the list server is
tarpitted. The reply-to: address is provided for those who feel compelled to
reply off list. Thankyou.

Rod/
/earth: write failed, file system is full
cp: /earth/creatures: No space left on device