On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 06:54 -0700, Diana Eichert wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Dec 2008, Jeroen Massar wrote:
>
> > Stephan A. Rickauer wrote:
> >>
> >> If you knew something about the political structures of
> >> SWITCH and of UZH you wouldn't recommend "kicking the network
> >> administrator".
> >
> > If you would have read the rest of the message you might have
> noticed
> > that I said you have an L7 issue, and therefor I still recommend
> kicking
> > them, very hard, because they are not doing their jobs properly by
> > assigning you address space that you can't use, unless that is their
> job
> > of course.
>
> First to the OP issue.  Why can't you internally NAT IPv4 hosts?

We already do so with two ranges. We could just go for another one
(which we would have to apply for, wait weeks, argue to people, fill out
forms, bow for the masters and whatnot). True. But on the one hand I
wanted to have a real-world example on how to make an ipv6-only client
work and on the other hand we already got the ipv6 ranges assigned.

If it worked we could make dedicated machines ipv6-only, save some ipv4
IPs and could go like that for another year or two - until University
finally decides to route ipv6 traffic...

Reyks very nice article on undeadly motivated me to play with it and see
how it goes. It looked just obvious to me, and actually I learned a lot
already.

1. internal ipv6 network works (client -> gateway)
2. DNS for client works, including ipv4 mapping
3. pf does redirect inet6 traffic to relayd
4. relayd doesn't see the redirected traffic.

So from my understanding, there must be some glitch why properly rdr'd
inet6 traffic to relayd doesn't arrive there. That's the last issue - I
can imagine that this is the last step to make my client work with tcp6.

--

 Stephan A. Rickauer

 Institute of Neuroinformatics         Tel  +41 44 635 30 50
 University / ETH Zurich               Sec  +41 44 635 30 52
 Winterthurerstrasse 190               Fax  +41 44 635 30 53
 CH-8057 Zurich                        Web    www.ini.uzh.ch