Stephan A. Rickauer wrote:
[..]
> Bingo! Our institute ran out of ipv4 addresses and we were assigned a
> couple of ipv6 address ranges by University. However, University who
> operates the network (gateways, routers etc.) don't route/care
> about/support ipv6 yet officially. Well, it's a University, why would
> they be interested in being ahead ...

I call BS there, I would suggest you kick your "network administrators"
hard, as all the universities have more than plenty of IPv4 address
space. I would be delighted to see any real concrete evidence to the
contrary. If it is anything it mostly just either means lazy people or
something to do with billing, those are L7 issues though.

I am also very sure that SWITCH will love to hear about this.

As for your network guys not routing the block they gave you, well if
they give it to you they better also route it, thus kick them.
Note that it reaches the uni at least:

 9  swiZH2-10GE-1-1.switch.ch (2001:620:0:c027::2)  5.02 ms  5.041 ms
4.981 ms
10  uzhix1-te1-1.uzh.ch (2001:620:0:fff5::2)  4.981 ms  5.142 ms  4.951 ms
11  internet-router-ifi-csg.uzh.ch (2001:620:10:ffff::2)  5.489 ms !S
5.27 ms !S  5.226 ms !S

There is a firewall there, thus can't tell what is behind it.

> Anyhow, this is why I wanted to use ipv6-only clients behind an ipv4-to
> ipv6 relay (I know that we could just simply nat more private ipv4
> addresses, but that is not an option right now).

You are trying to solve the wrong problem with the wrong hammer.

Just NAT IPv4, what you are trying to do now will only cause a lot of
other issues you don't want and will only cause you headaches.

To solve your problem VERY quickly: install apache2 or polipo or some
other HTTP proxy and you are set; unless you want to use other
protocols, but those are hard to "NAT" anyway. You could of course
always set up a SOCKS proxy as those things also properly do IPv4->IPv6
IPv6->IPv4 IPv4->IPv4 IPv6->IPv6 etc etc etc.

Greets,
 Jeroen

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature which had
a name of signature.asc]