On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 3:51 PM, ropers <rop...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > * ropers <rop...@gmail.com> [2008-12-12 15:01]:
> >>
> >> Maybe --possibly-- my own understanding is sorely lacking. Let me try
> >> to explain. The following requires a non-proportional font:
> >>

> (...)
>
> >> OTOH, if you have a dedicated link, maybe your setup looks like this?
> >>
> >>      external network
> >>     |                |
> >> OpenBSD#0--------OpenBSD#1
> >>     |                |
> >>      internal network
> >>
> >> I was under the impression that it should be possible to exchange CARP
> >> advertisements via the dedicated link (--------), though I have to
> >> admit that I haven't actually built such a network yet -- I'm planning
> >> to do that shortly. Maybe others can weigh in?
>
> 2008/12/23 Henning Brauer <lists-open...@bsws.de>:
> > that would defeat carp's purpose. if, in your scenario above,
> > OpenBSD#0 loses link to the external network, wouldn't you want
> > OpenBSD#1 to become master?
>
> Thanks for that. But I have a follow-up: To fully work, the OpenBSD
> hosts in the above scenario need working external and internal
> interfaces. So if CARP talked over the external network, that would
> just test the external interfaces. OTOH, if CARP talked over the
> internal network, that would just test the internal interfaces. Is
> there a way for a CARPed host to detect if either its external or
> internal links go down?
>
> Please forgive the sort of stupid question, but I'm curious.

I don't think you need that.

When deploying multiple CARP interfaces, you can enable CARP preempt. When
CARP preempt is enabled (via sysctl), if one CARP interface goes into backup
mode, all other CARP interfaces will also failover to backup.

So, if you have carp0 (internal network) and carp1 (external network) and
carp0 fails over because e.g. the network link goes down or the cable gets
unplugged, carp1 will also fail over.

--
http://www.felipe-alfaro.org/blog/disclaimer/