Anders Vquist escreveu:
Hello.

I have been looking for information on how to release the current lease of
IP-adress.

What should I di, where should I start, if I want to release the IP-adress?

/Anders

It's a little vague, but, if you are using dhclient to get an ip from a dhcp server and want to change your ip address, the short answer is: you can't. But, if the dhcp server was configured according some "best practices", the lease time you be one day or so. So, if you stay one day with the machine offline, you'll probably get a new ip the next time you turn it on. Another option is to change the interface mac address, but this must be done every time you boot the machine, which is a pain in the ass.

Now, if you are the dhpd server and want to release an ip address, i always find it more easy to:

1) stop the dhcpd server
2) edit the file /var/db/dhcpd.leases and manually remove the entries corresponding to the desired ip address.
3) start the dhcpd server again.

Keep in mind the next time you answer something on the list to be more specific and descriptive.

My regards,

--
Giancarlo Razzolini
http://lock.razzolini.adm.br