I am in the process of building NetBSD dom0 machines after having
problems with trying to get linux to work beyond a snails pace on the
hardware we have.

I just used the howto provided here:
http://www.netbsd.org/ports/xen/howto.html

Only issue from that was grub did not boot the xen.gz kernel, but just
gunzip it and alter grubs menu.lst to suit.