>Hi everyone.
>
>I have been using sendmail on my open BSD server for some time now.  I
>am using smtpvilter with clamwin and spam assassin.  I am using TLS
>with a self-signed certificate.
>
>I haven't had an issue for 2 years... then suddenly I get this:
>sm-mta[23903]: STARTTLS=client, relay=smtp.ins.dell.com.,
>version=TLSv1/SSLv3, verify=FAIL, cipher=DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA,
>bits=256/256
>Jan 28 17:58:29 mx1 imapd[21971]:
>
>I am getting this when our dell rep is trying to send me a quote.  I
>receive all of his other email just fine -- but when he sends a quote
>I get the error above.
>
>I do not understand why TLS even comes into play here, because he is
>not relaying off of my server (at least, he shouldn't be).  Is this a
>misconfiguration on their end -- or mine?  I've been good for 2 years,
>so I can't beleive it is something I did or did not do...
>
>Can someone help?
>
>Thanks.

There is nothing wrong with your configuration.  That particular Dell mail
server is talking to your mail server in that particular way (TLS/SSL) with a
self-signed certificate.  It simply means that the conversation is encrypted
by that the verification of the communication partner cannot be validated with
a certificate authority.  You are mis-reading the log message.

http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/starttls.html

Here is an outbound email from one of my servers...

Jan 28 08:46:47 chromatic sm-mta[18018]: STARTTLS=client,
relay=meleagros.siemens.com., version=TLSv1/SSLv3, verify=FAIL,
cipher=DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA, bits=256/256

And one inbound...

Jan 28 09:36:21 chromatic sm-mta[18298]: STARTTLS=server,
relay=tdwems06x08.thindata.net [64.34.54.224], version=TLSv1/SSLv3, verify=NO,
cipher=DHE-DSS-AES256-SHA, bits=256/256

The relay is simply the the partner in the transaction.