On Wednesday 11 February 2009 18:30:56 Jim Razmus wrote:
> * Jason Dixon <ja...@dixongroup.net> [090211 17:46]:
> > On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 03:02:51PM -0700, Steve B wrote:
> > > Thanks to all for the ideas. Amazon looks like it might be the best for
> > > me. They should be around for a while, and at $0.17 that's almost free.
> > > While I agree with some that DR and free are not synonymous this is for
> > > my home server so it's not as critical as work.
> >
> > Why would you want to backup your home server to Amazon?  That makes no
> > sense to me.
> >
> > --
> > Jason Dixon
> > DixonGroup Consulting
> > http://www.dixongroup.net/
>
> In my case, I want my data backed up off site.  A power surge several
> months back destroyed all 4 of my computers and a Soekris.  The Soekris
> was even burned on the inside of the case where the power connection met
> the board.  While I was upset about losing my computers, my data was
> safe off site.  I'm a firm believer in backups.
>
> Jim

Amen to backups, but why trust some company far away to handle things?
How do you know your data is in good hands, and that they won't slip up
let others see it?  I won't mention the concept of the place going under,
financially.

If you want to make backups, get a cheap USB disk, or build one yourself
with a USB enclosure and disk from some place like Newegg.  Make the
backup and stuff the disk somewhere like a friends house.  Far faster and
I daresay more secure.

--STeve Andre'