* STeve Andre' <and...@msu.edu> [090212 03:05]:
> On Wednesday 11 February 2009 18:30:56 Jim Razmus wrote:
> > * Jason Dixon <ja...@dixongroup.net> [090211 17:46]:
> > >
> > > Why would you want to backup your home server to Amazon?  That makes no
> > > sense to me.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Jason Dixon
> > > DixonGroup Consulting
> > > http://www.dixongroup.net/
> >
> > In my case, I want my data backed up off site.  A power surge several
> > months back destroyed all 4 of my computers and a Soekris.  The Soekris
> > was even burned on the inside of the case where the power connection met
> > the board.  While I was upset about losing my computers, my data was
> > safe off site.  I'm a firm believer in backups.
> >
> > Jim
>
> Amen to backups, but why trust some company far away to handle things?
> How do you know your data is in good hands, and that they won't slip up
> let others see it?  I won't mention the concept of the place going under,
> financially.

Duplicity encrypts backups with GnuPG before shipping them off site.

> If you want to make backups, get a cheap USB disk, or build one yourself
> with a USB enclosure and disk from some place like Newegg.  Make the

Cheaper than 17 cents?  My assumption is Amazon puts a bit of effort
into creating reliable storage infrastructure given their customer base.
Even if I'm wrong and they use a cheap USB disk, I don't have to frog
around with it.

> backup and stuff the disk somewhere like a friends house.  Far faster and
> I daresay more secure.
>
> --STeve Andre'

Security is relative.  If someone wants my data bad enough, they can
find me and ask for it one way or another.

But to each his own.  If a USB drive at a friends house is sufficient
for your needs, by all means, do it.  At least your have a backup.  More
than I can say for most people.

Jim