On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 06:39:00PM -0600, Chris Bennett wrote:
> Jacob Meuser wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 11:52:06AM -0600, Chris Bennett wrote:
>>
>>> I'm having problems with the new snapshots of 4.5 beta
>>>
>>> KDE is very slow to close and I'm having audio problems.
>>> Some apps fail to work at all like kaboodle and noatun
>>> Juk works but later crashes
>>>
>>> I get
>>>
>>> fifo_audio_out audio_buffer_underrun
>>>
>>> endlessly scrolling when I get back to console
>>>
>>> Is there something I need to do or just wait for these problems to
>>> get  fixed?
>>> Chris Bennett
>>>

>> are you using artsd?  are you using aucat?  how are you starting kde?
>> what arch?
>>

> Yes, artsd shows up in ps, don't know how to get rid of that.
> Had a suggestion to use aucat
>
> have you tried running 'aucat -l&' prior to starting
> kde in .xsession?
>
> Something like this:
>
> if ! [ "$(pgrep aucat)" ]; then
>       sh -c "aucat -l &"
> fi
>
> That didn't seem to work.
> Will try running sh -c "aucat -l &"

you don't need `&' when starting aucat anymore in -current.  see
aucat(1) for a better way to start aucat in server mode.

> Then startkde. should I disable the sound system in KDE?

no.  I'm pretty sure noatun and kaboodle require artsd.

> I start kde with $ startkde
>
> i386 arch

I've just tested this quite a bit and can't reproduce any of the problems
you are seeing, either with or without aucat running.

if you updated to 4.5 instead of a fresh install, make sure everything
(base and packages) is up-to-date.  also make sure you don't have a
stale artsd configuration that's trying to use OSS: K Menu->Settings->
Sound & Multimedia->Sound System->Hardware->Select the audio device->
libsndio.

--
jake...@sdf.lonestar.org