Hi list,

I'm a having few issues with the new intel(4) driver in X on -CURRENT
using the snapshot from two days ago.

The system is an IBM Netvista 8310-XXS and uses an integrated Intel
82845G. The dmesg is below. The hardware itself is fine, and it
previously ran 4.4-stable perfectly, albeit on -stable it used the now
removed/renamed i810(4) driver.

Yes, I've got the aperture sysctl set for running X.
        $ sysctl machdep.allowaperture
        machdep.allowaperture=2

The BIOS settings for the integrated video are:
        Primary Video: Integrated
        Video RAM: 8192KB
        AGP Aperture: 32MB

Most of the time, when starting up X with plain vanilla `startx` and no
xorg.conf file, X fails to start. On two rare occasions, X somewhat
started but died shortly afterwards with a long list of errors like:

        (EE) intel(0): underun on pipe A!

The bulk of the time, X never starts, and the errors are different.
I've included three Xorg.0.log files below, each done with different
AGP Aperture settings. The last Xorg.0.log is the partial startup (with
the above error), and but the first two seem to be a bit more telling.
I *think* the problem is somehow related to AGP Aperture, so I've tried
all of the available values in the BIOS (32MB, 60MB, 128MB, 256MB) in
hope of seeing different behavior. There are some differences in the
logs below.

This system used to work fine with X auto-configuration on 4.4.-stable
using the old i810(4) driver and without an xorg.conf. Tonight I'll run
some more tests with the new intel(4) driver an a simple xorg.conf to
shut off features.

Though the problem exists in the 2009.02.18 i386 snapshot, last night I
built -CURRENT from source, and the problem still exists.

I don't know much about X driver internals, but on the majority of
failures to start, it seems the new intel(4) driver is failing to map
memory properly.

If you've got any ideas, or if there is something specific that you
want to see tested, please let me know.

Unfortunately, when the dmesg and all three X logs are sent in-line, the
mail list software ignores the message. It's probably a spam filter
issue. The best I can do is put them up on my server.

http://www.designtools.org/OpenBSD/dmesg-OpenBSD-4.5-20090218.txt
http://www.designtools.org/OpenBSD/Xorg.0.log-APT32
http://www.designtools.org/OpenBSD/Xorg.0.log-APT64
http://www.designtools.org/OpenBSD/Xorg.0.log-APT128