On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 09:11:28 +0100 Matthieu Herrb <mhe...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > I don't know much about X driver internals, but on the majority of
> > failures to start, it seems the new intel(4) driver is failing to
> > map memory properly.
> >
> > If you've got any ideas, or if there is something specific that you
> > want to see tested, please let me know.
> >

> On i8xx chipsets that are experiencing this kind of problems,
> switching back to the XAA acceleration methode generally works.
>
> Add
>
>   Option "AccelMethod" "XAA"
>
> to the Device section of your xorg.conf file

Thanks Mathieu!

This option does help somewhat with the 82845G chipset I have, but it's
not a correct answer.

With this option enabled, X will start after a cold boot and run fairly
well, but then the trouble becomes ending the X session. When you exit
X, the display is often left in a weird state with blurred, distorted
or displaced text as if the display never quite made it back in to text
mode properly.

On occasion, X will exit properly, but more often than not it leaves
the display in some weird state.

With the "AccelMethod" option you mentioned, a cold boot does allow me
to get X running on the first try, but exiting X, or restarting X just
doesn't work properly.

Shutting off the acceleration entirely with the "Accel" option has
basically the same effect as designating  the "AccelMethod"

        Option "Accel" "false"

Again, shutting off acceleration completely allows you to get X running
after a cold boot, but exiting X and/or restarting X typically results
in either a screwed up text mode, or a failed/incomplete start of X.

Is there anything else I could do to help fix this instability bug?

--
J.C. Roberts