On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 02:08:13AM +0100, Michiel van Baak wrote:
> On 19:59, Sun 22 Feb 09, jmc wrote:
> > --- Friedrich Locke [Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 06:54:34PM -0300]: ---
> > > Dear gentleman,
> > >
> > > i am searching for web hosting service that :
> > >
> > > supports java,
> > > support MySQL
> > > allow me shell account access for software development with access to
> > > MySQL.
> > > allow ssh/sftp access.
> > > and runs OpenBSD at least for the shell services.
> > > allow me to host dns for my domain.
> > >
> > > Is anybody aware of a such hosting services...
> >
> > check out m5hosting.com. i think there are shared hosting options, but
> > for a reasonable amount of money, you can have your own dedicated host
> > to run OpenBSD and do as you see fit, within reason.
> >
> > can't say enough good things about the folks at m5hosting. i'm a
> > satisified customer only; i have no interest in the company.
>
> easyspeedy.com is also pretty ok.
> I dont know how their routes to the USA are but within europe they
> perform really good and their prices are nice as well.
>
> The only thing you cannot do there is host an irc server, but besides
> that, as long as it's legal, you can do whatever you want.
> They offer a nice set of operating systems.
>
> Like jmc I'm just a customer, no interest in the company or any of it's
> partners/suppliers.
> We have a couple of ES3010 boxen and are really happy with them.

Hi,

I have no interests in either one of these companies, but I have been
a customer of both and I would strongly discourage anyone from taking
a server at easyspeedy. I've had a very bad experience with them, the
network being very unstable for days and them refusing to admit their
responsability and trying to convince me that my ISP was the problem,
even when evidences were pointing to them. Shit happens, but refusing
to acknowledge a mistake and let a problem sit for days is just not a
professional way of handling PR's and establishing trust ...

I've been a customer of Layeredtech for years and they were doing the
work correctly until I needed a hardware upgrade. Things were planned
to limit the downtime, however they dealt very bad with it and didn't
follow the plans causing nearly two days of downtime. So I'd say they
are great if you don't have critical services running, and need to be
able to change infrastructure.

I've been at m5hosting for the last few months and so far they're way
better than what I've seen elsewhere. Maybe just a bit too expensive,
if you compare the hardware with what you can get elsewhere, but they
do seem to know what they're doing.

Gilles

--
Gilles Chehade