On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 11:13 PM, Ingo Schwarze <schwa...@usta.de> wrote:

> Hi Jean-Francois,
>
> Jean-Francois wrote on Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 10:08:22PM +0100:
>
> > I actually built the following system :
> > - OpenBSD running on a standard AMD platform
> > - This box is actually used as firewall
> > - This box is also used as webserver
> > - This box is finally used as local shared drives via NFS file
> >   but only open to subnetwork through PF
>
> It's hard to tell what this is supposed to say, but in case you intend
> to use the same physical machine as a firewall, as a public webserver
> and as a private NFS server, that's almost certainly a very bad idea
> and not at all secure.
>
> Never put your private NFS server on the same host as either your
> firewall or your webserver.  Never.  If you don't own and can't
> afford enough hardware to physically seperate the NFS server
> from the firewall and the webserver, do not use NFS at all.
> If your network is so small that you consider putting everything
> on one single server, just use some old 200MHz i386 for the firewall
> and some old 500MHz i386 for the NFS server.  People will almost
> certainly give you such hardware for free, at least in Europe.
> That's probably sufficient, and lets you use your shiny new amd64
> box as the webserver.

Just to clarify, NFSv4 does not necessarily transmit data in clear text.
NFSv4 allows one to use encryption and/or data authentication. NFSv3 and
older versions do not use encryption at all, but you can use IPSec to
protect it at the network layer.

NFS is not designed with security in mind.  It transmits data

--
http://www.felipe-alfaro.org/blog/disclaimer/