Hi,

What about Postel's 'be liberal in what you accept' ? What about peers/intermediate system that have for example bugs which accidentally set FIN flags (ISP's broken traffic shaping/limiting device anyone ?). If pf can safely cleanse such legitimate traffic, then why block it ?

Blindly implementing 'orders' from PCI etc is just wrong - to do so is only encouraging such bad practices. Instead reject their demands, using whatever appeals process is available. Only when enough technical staff do so will it be fixed.

All such regulations should be of the style where both of these are permitted:
- "I am a stupid admin, so I'll just blindly follow them"
and
- "I am a competent admin, so I'll use my judgement to best protect my net"

How about this, for a fun response: "We don't want to drop such 'special' traffic, since if we do so, then an attacker can deduce that we have implemented PCI guidelines, which in turn implies we have CC details online, and thus are a more attractive target' ...

/Pete