2009/3/13 Jean-Francois <jfsimon1...@gmail.com>:
> BTW this thread helped me a lot (I was the originator) and I agree that
> NFS works a lot very well. Over Gigabyte network it's looking like
> really a local disk behaviour.
>
> I have still troubles copying videos because the Linux desktop
> constantly loads the litle snapshot of the vid file it is transferring ,
> this icon of the file that shown one of the picture of the film, and as
> it does constantly update this imate while transferring it really
> interferes and the flow is reduced to somewhat few m/s instead of approx
> 60 m/s when transferring normally.

This sounds like a problem with your Linux GUI configuration and Linux
allowing that preview generation task somehow compete with its
transfer task for access to the file (not sure why; if the preview
generation tried to temporarily lock the file it would sort of explain
things, but why would that job try to do that?). Or maybe the Linux
preview generation task is so eager to catch up with and gets so
confused by the constantly changing file that it generates such an
amount of load on the Linux system that this negatively impacts the
transfer task.

In any case, there isn't really anything OpenBSD does to cause this,
nor probably anything your OpenBSD box could do to fix this.

But in case you're using Nautilus/GNOME on your Linux box, you may
want to look at Edit -- Preferences -- Preview in Nautilus, where you
can tell it to show thumbnails for local files only, or only for files
below a certain size, or not show thumbnails at all.

regards,
--ropers