Hello,

Thank you Theo and your team of developers for OpenBSD.

Some people responding to the "European Orders" thread seem to have lost sight
of what OpenBSD is and who develops it. I am a bit of a newbie here (although I
have been using computers in my career since 1972), but it seems to me that
OpenBSD is developed by people who donate their own time and expertise to the
project. Theo draws an  income but few others do. OpenBSD is given away freely
because of the good grace of Theo and the team. If you choose to pay for CDs
then this is a donation, is it not? If you do not want to donate, Theo allows
you to download for free.

Who are these people who think that they can question the motivation, honesty
and accounting procedures of the OpenBSD team who give people free access to
their project? Here we have a team of people donating their own time to make
this fantastic OS available for free and people think they have the right to
flame them? Because they donated $50? Give us all a break...

Have you heard the proverb about not biting the hand that feeds you? Theo and
his team give this OS to us because they choose to do so, not because they have
to. They do not have to give it away. Do you have any idea of the salary Theo
and the other developers could command at Microsoft, Intel, IBM, Sun, HP, ...
God forbid.

I am an academic who also runs a consultancy. I intend to start making heavy
use of OpenBSD in my teaching and consultancy over the next year or two, not
sooner because of various unrelated reasons. Theo, when I make my first dollar
using OpenBSD your project will get a percentage, and the same for as long as I
use it, and what you choose to do with the money is your business. You can use
it to buy food, shelter and even mountain bikes if you wish!

As I said, I am new to OpenBSD and my first purchase will be the 4.5 CDs. Go to
town, Theo, the $50 is all yours.

Please keep doing what you are doing! Many of us appreciate you and what your
team do for us.

Bill Chivers

William J. Chivers
Lecturer in Information Technology
School of DCIT
Faculty of Science and Information Technology
University of Newcastle---Ourimbah Campus
PO Box 127, Ourimbah, NSW 2259
Australia
CRICOS Provider Number: 00109J

phone:   +61 2 4349 4473