Slightly late in responding to this, but hey:

Michael Grigoni wrote:

>> William Chivers wrote:

> Thank you Theo and your team of developers for OpenBSD.
>
> Some people responding to the "European Orders" thread seem to have lost
sight of what OpenBSD is and who develops it. I am a bit of a newbie here
(although I have been using computers in my career since 1972)... <

I also add my thanks to the discussion. I do have a fundamental question to
pose however.  It seems that opensource culture for large projects is driven
by featurism and the need to make massive changes incorporated into frequent
releases.  I come from a background of very long-term stability requirements
for APIs and ABIs, performance figures on hardware over long life-cycles and
stringent documentation. I do embedded work and expect to maintain a system
for decades without massive overhaul. <<

First, let me add my thanks to Theo and the guys for the continued existence
of OpenBSD. You and your work *are* appreciated.

Second, you mentioned embedded work, which is my main work area. Yes,
embedded stuff needs to be stable long-term - but the Internet isn't:
threats change, and OpenBSD evolves. A classic solution to that (which I've
used) is to simply accept that the legacy embedded stuff should not be
directly connected to the Internet, and to use a current (or at least
regularly maintained) OpenBSD machine as a gateway. Or, to put it another
way: use the right tools for the job.

Steve
--
http://www.fivetrees.com