Theo,

You do not need to respond to these trolls. Sorry, TROLLS, I forgot, case
sensitive.
Ignore them. Get on with hacking.
Most of us do not see any problem with you controlling the finances of obsd.

Bill

William J. Chivers
Lecturer in Information Technology
School of DCIT
Faculty of Science and Information Technology
University of Newcastle---Ourimbah Campus
PO Box 127, Ourimbah, NSW 2259
Australia
CRICOS Provider Number: 00109J

phone:   +61 2 4349 4473
fax:     +61 2 4349 4565
email:  william.chiv...@newcastle.edu.au
>>> Theo de Raadt <dera...@cvs.openbsd.org> 04/10/09 9:29 AM >>>
> while this might be true for you, I have a totally different experience.
> I also saw some info about donation money and some receipts that show
> very clearly the money went to theo.

Then you must be really good friends with Wim, since I do not have any
of the information you claim to have seen.  He has not shown me the
books for donations coming in, or donation money going out.  He has
not provided a transaction log.  The donations are not visible.

What I have seen, though, is a list of about a hundred transactions
(with receipts) which he has invoiced to the Computer Shop as credit
against his debt for past CD bulk purchases by KD85.

This means that those expenses cannot be billed against something
else, like donation money.

If he is now charging every single European expense which I authorized
to the Computer Shop, then where is the donation money which was
received from Europeans?

Do you understand basic accounting?  If he is asking the Computer Shop
to pay for those things, then obviously the donations did not pay for
them.  Do you understand?

His web page mentions his car and the kilometers it drove and the gas
it burned and the hotels he stayed in.  All of which was his choice --
to go to events to sell things.  None of those expenses were
authorized against the Computer Shop's component of the CD sales, or
against the OpenBSD donations.  He sold Soekris hardware at those
events.  That was his business, his choice to go, on margins we made
very sweet compared to what other sellers get.  He has no email which
shows me approving those expenses against OpenBSD donations; nor does
he have email which shows the Computer Shop approving those expenses
against money owed for bulk CD purchasing.

> My main problem is that I can see money flowing from the middle-man to
> theo, but dont see where the money is spent from there.

I only have two transfers out of all European donations ever made.

They are 1000 EUR and 2402.48 EUR (this latter is said to be a closing
of the donation account).  Both these transactions also came out of
the main KD85 corporate account, not out of the personal account that
contributions were made into.

There were also two 5000 EUR transactions mistakenly made by KD85 to
me for CDs he purchased from the Computer Shop -- and that money was
given to the Computer Shop, and thus paid in part against KD85's debt.
Computer Shop could give this back to me, but it would simply increase
KD85's debt to the Computer Shop since it means KD85 never paid for
OpenBSD 4.0 (or 4.1, I would need to check which it is).

So 3402.48 EUR for 10 years of European donations.  Does this seem
like it is reasonable to anyone here?  Over ten years, all of Europe
only donated an average of 28 EUR per month.  Does that seem even
possible?

And what happened to the donations Wim collected at the events he
attended?  Were those donations to OpenBSD as he said, or were they
donations to him?

So I don't see the money flowing "to theo" at all.  And that is why on
a regular basis we have to go to the mailing lists and ask for
additional donations to buy replacement hardware or what not.  I bet
enough money is missing that we would never have had to ask.

I have made it very clear what I have done with the donation money
over the years.  I've used it to pay for hackathons and other
development resources.

> I know it's none of my business because donations go to the project and
> theo is the one to decide but I cannot tell if it went into a bigass car
> for theo or into hardware for developers (replace car with
> house/food/bike/laptop/whatever)

You are right.  It is none of your business.

And certainly everyone knows that I don't drive around a top of the
line car like Wim does, heck, why do I need to drive at all when my
commute to work is 10 meters.  I also don't need to buy a house with
OpenBSD money since DARPA paid me enough back about 10 years ago so
that I could entirely pay off the 2 bedroom place.  Of course I nearly
ate cardboard at the time to make ends meet, but this because I knew I
was in for the long haul writing of software and giving it away and
probably not living a rich future so I wanted to get the mortgage out
of the way.

But you are right -- it really is none of your business what I do with
contributions given my way by people who want to see the project do well.

> I'm very happy how stuff went with kd85 and I got info about what
> happened with my money and it's exactly as it was advertised on both the
> official openbsd website as on wim's website.

You must be very good friends with Wim to believe that.

> btw, did you call Wim ? Everytime I dail his number I get him on the
> phone and he's willing to explain stuff. Maybe you should try that as
> well. His number is listed on his website.

Why should I phone Wim?  Noone needs trickly explanations.  We need to
see the books.