On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 11:59:11AM -0600, Daniel Melameth wrote:
> Almost any modern notebook will use less than 30 watts and be
> significantly more powerful than a Soekris.

Get a used ThinkPad and swap in a bigger drive. You'll get a superior
keyboard and silent operation on top of Really Working (tm) hardware. My
T40p was not much more expensive than an atom box or soekris and it runs
very cool, staying room-temperature at zero load. The port replicators
should be really cheap on ebay now if you want to connect more desktop-y
peripherals. And they, of course, run OpenBSD, even though I currently
don't run it on mine.

Besides, the ThinkPad is still in good shape after quite a few beverages
- much better than I on those nights...

And, as a side note, I'd not recommend cheaper laptops, they are quite
sucky and I'd much prefer an old ThinkPad to a more expensive new
plasticy thing that sounds like it's going to take off until the fan
fails after a year... let alone the icky hardware with driver pains.

--
Jussi Peltola