On 2009-04-16, Nenhum_de_Nos <math...@eternamente.info> wrote:
> that I was known, I just want to be sure it won't die out of a sudden.

In my experience with flash-based storage, it's *far* more likely to
die from something totally unrelated to the number of write cycles.

I had 64MB CF in use for years, which were still going when PSU
components failed (cards are dated 2003, they were in production
use on nameservers until at least 2007).

I had new modern CF die within months, with far fewer writes.

I think you'll see more benefit from spending a bit of time
finding a non crappy vendor, than working out ways to reduce
writes.

Unless what you are *actually* aiming for is to be able to mount
read-only to avoid problems with unclean starts, which I don't
remember mentioned in this thread, but is the main reason I'd
try and arrange things so I don't write to "disk".

> bob, sorry, I can't help you there.

meh, netboot... but then you'll wear out the ethernet cables!
can't ever win, can you...