Hallo!

I would like to confirm my understanding of how carp works and if the following holds generally true.

After having on all participating nodes set to

 # sysctl -w net.inet.carp.preempt=0

one could change advskew value and actually no carp takeover takes place automatically until issuing on the becoming master node

 # ifconfig carp-interface-name state master

or on becoming backup node

 # ifconfig carp-interface-name state backup

After that the carp master and backup change roles.

On the other hand, if all participating nodes are set to

 # sysctl -w net.inet.carp.preempt=1

then under similar changes in advskew carp takeover happes automatically .i.e master and backup change roles and 'state master' or 'state backup' aint needed to be issued manually. (As merriam-webster says in one case for preemtive being 'marked by the seizing of the initiative; initiated by oneself')

Imre

PS The scope of this experiment is takeover within paticular carp group (practically between two physical interfaceses) and not for all carp groups as in case with firewall with several physical interfaces.