On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 12:05 PM, Imre Oolberg <i...@auul.pri.ee> wrote:

> Hallo!
>
> I would like to confirm my understanding of how carp works and if the
> following holds generally true.
>
> After having on all participating nodes set to
>
>  # sysctl -w net.inet.carp.preempt=0

AFAIK CARP preempt has meaning only in the context of the machine to which
it applies. When CARP preempt is enabled, in a machine with multiple CARP
interfaces, whenever one CARP interface fails over, all other CARP
interfaces in the machine fail over too.

I'm using this on my 2-firewall configuration (active-passive) where each
machine has two CARP interfaces: internal interface and Internet-facing
interface. Whenever one of the interfaces failover, the other does too. This
way, both interfaces are either master or backup, at the same time. This
avoids the case where the internal interface is master and the
Internet-facing interface is backup (or the opposite).

--
http://www.felipe-alfaro.org/blog/disclaimer/