Guten arben.

I am wondering what the pros and cons are for using DHCP or PPPoE for
connecting to an ISP via an ADSL modem.

I expect like a lot of people I set my modem in bridge mode using PPPoE.
In my particular case I use the DHCP server on the modem to assign an
IP address to my desktop machine. When the session is running, my
modem "passes on" the real world IP address assigned from the exchange
to my desktop.

I have noticed that some people use PPPoE rather than DHCP.
I have read through the documentation - PPPOE(4) - and it looks a bit
more involved than DHCP and has a few caveats (MTU/MSS ISSUES).
I also read PPPOE(8) and it seems to be suited to userland and as I
don't need a server doesn't appear to be worthwhile but I am not
extremely familiar with all the implications.

Can someone let me know if I am correct in assuming that if I want
PPPoE in client mode only that PPPoE(4) is the way to go?
Probably a more important question is what, if any, are the advantages
or disadvantages compared to DHCP?

Best wishes.