On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 03:32:49PM +1000, Aaron Mason wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 10:30 AM, Stuart Henderson <s...@spacehopper.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > I see a tiny little problem with this method... sometimes people send
> > spam from domains whose DNS they control.
>
> If this is the case, then you have an almost direct pointer to the cause.
>
> The only way this wouldn't work is if the SPF records get spoofed as a
> result of a lazy sysadmin not updating the DNS server with a more
> secure version.

Huh?  Spammers have been using throw away domains for ages.  Adding a
SPF record to their own domains has been trivial.  No spoofing required.
Basically, you're accepting input from the bad guys and treating it as
valid and trusted.  Bad idea.

> You could blacklist domains that fraudulently pass the SPF filter, but
> that would defeat the purpose - you'd be working as hard as you would
> be if you were maintaining manual whitelists or blacklists.

Auto-whitelisting based on input from the spammer is bad.  You may as
well save yourself the trouble and not use spamd.