I took my RT2860 card (which likes to lock up the Soekris 5501 fairly
quickly), stuck it in an Openbsd 4.5-current (April 27 snap) and it
performed properly and didn't lock up. Mind you, the machine is amd64
and quite well powered. I transferred a lot of files with scp, got
about 1.2 MB/s on a single transfer which isn't that bad considering
there's about 4-5 access points around or in the building.

The caveat on the ral(4) man page:
    Some PCI ral adapters seem to strictly require a system supporting PCI
     2.2 or greater and will likely not work in systems based on older revi-
     sions of the PCI specification.  Check the board's PCI version before
     purchasing the card.

 Does the Soekris net5501-70 support PCI 2.2 or greater? (I couldn't
find anything in the specs or docs of it.) That's the only thing I can
think of. I can try a new power supply if that's the cause, but it
seems so difficult to isolate this bug.

  Stuart: any luck with your ral* card in your Alix?

   Regards,
   Tom