* Michael Grigoni <michael.grig...@cybertheque.org> [2009-04-30 21:42]:
> Henning Brauer wrote:
>
>> * Michael Grigoni <michael.grig...@cybertheque.org> [2009-04-30 19:51]:
>
> <snip>
>>
>> we do not tend to drop support for hardware. happens for really really
>> ancient stuff (>10years) from time to time, but even that seldom.
>
> In the context of this discussion, the hardware is about 17 years old.

so put 4.5 on it. chances are high it still just works.

>>> Some time ago I had posed performance questions in the openbsd-sparc lists
>>> in hopes that I could get performance and resource data that could direct my
>>> decisions regarding 'upgrades' on older sparc architectures; replies were
>>> essentially along the lines of 'try it', which I guess in an open source
>>> environment is a fair expectation, however on a rapid-release cycle, I
>>> just cannot manage this.
>> but you can manage backporting? hilarious.
> For those facilities I require in my application, yes (kernel and pf). I don't
> really want to have to reinstall an entire set of configs, utilities,
> libraries
> etc. to get the benefit of a single (or few) changes, when I am constrained by
> filesystem sizes, media types, and the performance considerations of utilities
> which got changed but had nothing to do with the changes I sought in the
> kernel
> or pf.

oh cut the crap. just try it. openbsd version upgrades are way
smoother than minor version updates for most other OSes.

> In this context I don't need a general-purpose platform (like FreeBSD, etc.)
> but
> a very tightly-coded, lean, mean kernel for use in certain custom
> applications ;)

and OpenBSD 4.5 is much better in that than 3.5.

> mature architecture support, etc., but again, cost is a large factor.
> 'MicroBSD'
> was obviously an attempt to do this publicly but sadly didn't succeed.

MicroBSD was a joke. Don't get me started. banner microbsd, anyone?

--
Henning Brauer, h...@bsws.de, henn...@openbsd.org
BS Web Services, http://bsws.de