On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 11:31 PM, Joe Gidi <j...@entropicblur.com> wrote:

> Christopher Intemann wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I'm thinking about installing OpenBSD on my desktop workstation.
> > As far as I know, there are commercial (binary) drivers for some Nvidia
> > and
> > ATI cards applicable.
> > Do these drivers work on OpenBSD as well?
>
> There is no support for binary blob drivers, and I'd be absolutely shocked
> if it was even considered at any point. OpenBSD doesn't work that way.
>
> > If not, which graphics cards are supported for 3D acceleration at all?
>
> Intel and some ATI cards have working DRI/DRM. See
> http://www.undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20081029164221

Thanks for the hint. This looks very promising to me, even though I'm not
very sure how to use the driver on OpenBSD yet. Is there any good straight
forward-howto I could learn from?
One more thing: I could get my hands on a cheap Sun Blade sparc workstation.
Since the drivers mentioned above are OpenSource, would it be possible to
plug a supported ATI graphics-card in the PCI-slot of the sparc box and
compile the driver in order to use it?
Which graphics card would be recommended (most current cards seem to be
AGP-cards - are there any newer PCI-cards with current chipsets applicable
at all?)

> > Then, I would like to connect my USB printer/scanner (Epson SX100).
> > From what I've learned from google, this device should work with Linux -
> > but
> > does it work with OpenBSD?
>
> I can't speak to that particular printer model, but odds are very good
> that it will work with either lpd or CUPS when the appropriate
> configuration is done. Some links on printing in OpenBSD:
>
> http://www.stilyagin.com/darrin/blog/2007/05/16/2200/
> http://www.stilyagin.com/darrin/blog/2006/08/27/1218/
> http://erdelynet.com/tech/openbsd/using-foo2zjs-with-openbsd-lpd/
>
> Thanks. I'll check that as well.