I'm an experienced hand with Linux (Gentoo, more recently Arch) and with
FreeBSD. I've recently become interested in OpenBSD and have just done a
test install of 4.5 on an old Thinkpad 600x (650 mhz, .5 Gb, 20 Gb 5400 rpm
disk, 3com Megahertz pcmcia ethernet adapter) for purposes of evaluation.

Using the system to download and install packages and doing general setup
tasks, it behaves normally, no problems. But today, I am attempting to rsync
(I've arranged for the rsync daemon to be started at boot time) the contents
of my home directory from a FreeBSD system (something I do all the time with
other targets, for backup purposes, and to allow me to use different
machines as appropriate). I've twice had the rsync fail, with the client
complaining that it could not write to its output pipe. The OpenBSD system
was sitting at its login prompt, and attempting to login proved impossible.
Characters got echoed extremely slowly, if at all, and when they did, they
got echoed multiple times. I could not ping the system, though it was up,
but obviously in distress. As an a very experienced systems programmer
(though I haven't done any OS-level work in years), I'd offer the guess, and
its only a guess, that the system was being flooded with interrupts. Unable
to ssh in, I finally just turned the power off and rebooted. After the
fscks, the system came up normally. I checked /var/log/message and found
nothing unusual. I resumed the rsync and ran into the same problem again
after a relatively short time. I am now on my third attempt, this time
running 'top' on the OpenBSD machine, and in the spirit of Heisenberg, the
rsync is proceeding normally, almost finished.

I normally run Arch Linux on this machine (different disk) and have had no
problems with it (I did the same rsync from the same source machine
uneventfully), so I'm not too inclined to suspect the hardware, old as it
is, except perhaps the disk, which is different hardware than when I run
Linux.

Here's my question: should I be able to provoke this problem again, can the
collective you suggest things I should be doing, log files I ought to be
looking at, perhaps running with a kernel debugger available, etc., to have
a chance of debugging this problem? It's possible that this old machine or
the disk that's been gathering dust for some time has decided to
malfunction. But since I'm evaluating OpenBSD,  I'd like to either exonerate
it or confirm that it's a bug in the system. Any help would be appreciated.

/Don Allen