On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 10:26 AM, STeve Andre' <and...@msu.edu> wrote:

> I've never tried installing OpenBSD on a 600x but I'm a little surprised
that
> it isn't working fine.

You're in for a few surprises when you do then. It should work fine,
but there's some ACPI issues that have never been addressed.

> Since you are new to OpenBSD, how did you get OpenBSD, and also how
> (where) did you get the packages?  You MUST get the packages that
> match the version of OpenBSD.  More than one person has gotten a
> release CD and then gotten the packages in snapshots/packages/i386
> which is "-current", the wip stuff that will be a part of the next release.

The 600x has a CDRom/DVD drive in it. It comes standard.

> Also, it would be good to post the contents of /var/run/dmesg.boot, to
> see what the kernel thinks of the hardware.  Thats a start.

I'll include something I sent to Donald Allen, edited to make things a
little more contextually relevant:

"The key problem would keep happening [the freezing/slowdown]. Mostly
due to IRQ 11 being shared between USB, keyboard and PCMCIA. Large
amounts of traffic through that IRQ would cause locking issues in the
kernel. It really
is a hardware issue with that specific model of laptop; I had them
with FreeBSD [5.2], OpenBSD [4.1, 4.2, and 4.3], and Linux [2.6.10]."

It's a problem I presumed was just with my 600x, but some of my
research has shown it's a model issue, related to IRQ assignment in
kernel. The only OS that hasn't had a problem with the hardware is
Windows XP. Whether that's due to the OS masking it or knowing
something more intimately about the odd hybrid of ACPI and APM the
BIOS presents, I can't say.

I'm just not surprised the problem still exists in 4.5.