On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 12:02 PM, SJP Lists <sjp.li...@flashbsd.net> wrote:

> Thanks Lars and Johan,
>
> I was trying to highlight to irix that once traffic is received, it is
> too late to alter the bandwidth it already used coming in.
>
> In other words, doing it on the incoming is pointless.  Thus, as in
> your examples, the logic behind shaping only on the outbound.

You can always inform the other end that your window is smaller than
it is (pf.conf(5) red/rio/ecn on the queue).

Or, simply randomly drop some incoming packets for that protocol to
force retransmission (see pf.conf(5) "probability" flag for a given
line) which should cause the remote end renegotiate its link to you as
unreliable, and retransmit. A probability of 5% would prevent inbound
connections from fully saturating.

> i.e.You can easily delay sending something you have, but you have
> little to no control over the ingress traffic of a link where only the
> local host you have control of.

Bingo.