On 2009 May 30, at 7:03 AM, Jason Dixon wrote:

> On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 06:48:59AM -0700, Ben Goren wrote:
>> I'm trying to set up my first wireless network, with less than
>> stellar
>> success.
>
> You need to narrow your spectrum of diagnosis.  Start ruling out those
> things which are known to work.  Rule out those things which are known
> to work and you'll be left with the thing(s) that don't.
>
> Examples:
>
> - OpenBSD wireless connectivity (as a client)
> - OpenBSD wired connectivity
> - Mac wired connectivity
> - Mac wireless connectivity (to a different WAP)
> - etc...

I've done as much of that as I can -- or, at least, as much as I can
think of.

The two computers have no trouble talking to each other over wired
ethernet.

Indeed, for several seconds, they communicate just fine over wireless
-- my problem is that it only lasts for several seconds, after which
the entire wireless connection is dropped and the iMac is no longer
associated with any network.

I don't have any other hardware to test with.

I've thought of and tried a couple other things since this morning.
There's one of those infamous ``linksys'' networks somewhere in the
vicinity, but apparently not nearby. I was able to connect to it from
the iMac a while ago and do a bit of (very slow) surfing, and even
open an ssh session back to the laptop. I can't seem to re-connect to
it now, and I haven't been able to connect to it from the laptop.
There are a couple other networks in the area that aren't using any
form of wireless security, but they have official-sounding names like
``ASUEMPLOYEE.'' I can connect to them from either computer -- and the
connection doesn't go away -- but no DHCP servers will talk to me.

I've also tried setting up the laptop in both ibss and ibss-master
mode. With ibss-master, ifconfig always reports ``no network.''

However, if I set the iMac up as an ibss-master, I can connect to it
from the OpenBSD laptop, get a DHCP lease from it, and ping the iMac.

So, it seems that everything works except for sustaining a link from
the iMac to the OpenBSD laptop as a hostap for more than several
seconds.

Surely I must be missing something obvious?

Cheers,

b&

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pkcs7-signature which
had a name of smime.p7s]