On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 02:38:14PM -0400, Joe Gidi wrote:
> On Sun, June 14, 2009 4:48 am, Jacob Meuser wrote:
> > the beep/bell thing on azalia is a mess.  analog devices codecs
> > especially.  pretty sure this codec violates the spec by listing
> > the digital beep in the connection list of a mixer.  this is
> > specifically disallowed by the spec.  so, the driver does not honor
> > such a connection, which means the input on the mixer is not
> > unmuted.
> >
> > at least, I'm pretty sure that's the issue.  I made such a change
> > somewhat recently.
> >
> > do people want these beeps?
> >
> > --
> > jake...@sdf.lonestar.org
> > SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.lonestar.org
>
> Now that you mention it, I've never gotten my Asus Eee 900A to produce a
> system beep/bell, nor has a friend who runs Linux on his. I just assumed
> the machine didn't support the old-fashioned system beep. I can't even
> make it beep at the BIOS level, by e.g. entering an incorrect BIOS
> password.
>
> Is there a way to diagnose this? I'd hate to ask you to start digging
> through the code if the answer is, "the hardware doesn't work that way."

the eee 900 uses the ALC662 codec. according to the datasheet, the
beep node is 0x1d.  this is what the codec tells us about 0x1d:

azalia0: purple1d wcap=400000
        cap=20<INPUT>
        [02/13] color=purple device=spkr conn=none conntype=digital
        location=n/a chassis=external special=none

doesn't look much like a beep input.

hmm, there is a workaround already in place for this codec.  if you
really don't get any beeps, ever, then it's possible that the
system bell is simply not connected to the codec.  anyway, try
setting inputs.mix_beep higher, maybe it's just too low.

--
jake...@sdf.lonestar.org