On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Philip Guenther<guent...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 10:36 AM, patrick keshishian<pkesh...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>> *aham* B ... was this a really stupid question?
>
> Well, you elided useful data by only including part of the netstat
> output, you obfuscated it to make it harder to read, you failed to
> even mention what version of OpenBSD you're running, *and* you
> actually have a solution to your problem. B Why should anyone bother to
> answer?

ouch... but thanks for taking the time to reply.

well, you have some good points there, but if you read carefully, my
post wasn't of the "Hey everyone please help me!" flavour. It was of
the form "I notice this on openbsd and this on this other platform, I
wonder which is the expected behavior?"

I don't have a problem on openbsd per se; the issue was on linux for
which I had a workaround for. But, the more I think about this
situation, I think I should be seeing the same "issue" on openbsd as
well, but i'm not (yet). I put "issue" in quotes because I think it
isn't really an issue but rather the expected behavior.

This was noticed on periodically-updated openbsd macppc-snapshots
since pre 4.4 release until one from 2 months ago, which I'm currently
running.

>> Maybe I just wrote too many words. In simple terms, once a new route
>> has been added to the routing table, all traffic should consider the
>> new route right? So, is the ppp interface treated differently when it
>> comes to routing in OpenBSD?
>
> Does this quote from the netstat(8) manpage explain the behavior?
> B  B  Connection oriented protocols normally hold on to a single route
> B  B  for the duration of a connection while connectionless protocols obtain
> B  B  route while sending to the same destination.

ah, yes. this is good, as it confirms part of my observation; note
that i was not specific on the type of socket used, because it did not
make a difference. I simply said "same socket descriptor", indicating
one created prior to the establishment of the new route.

e.g., I can start a ping going for the particular host on the remote
network, next establish the route and the pings continue out on the
physical interface. If I start a new ping, those packets, now, go
through the ppp0 interface. As verified with tcpdump.

So, it seems, based on my observations, routes are "sticky" with
respect to sockets; even non-TCP sockets, which seems bit odd. Do you
not agree?

--patrick